Monday, October 04, 2010

It Was Night, And The Rain Fell...

This is my entry for the SCBWI Illustrator's Day Contest in LA. The illustration is supposed to be inspired by the line "It was night, and the rain fell, and falling, it was rain, but, having fallen, it was..." Now that I've finished the piece I don't think my idea is very original or interesting.

Every illustration I do is a learning process, and this one is a good example of that. Sometimes I plan my illustrations very carefully, but in this case I really just winged it, drawing it straight on the the illustration board instead of working and reworking the design on tracing paper. I also really didn't have a clear idea of what colors I wanted to use, and so I made it up as I went along. I'm definitely trying to find the right balance between planning carefully and being spontaneous.

4 comments:

sarah said...

Me too, finding that balance. :) But not having read you explanation, I don't think I would have guessed that you struggled with this. It's appealing and fun!

Kent said...

I'm submitting this for Illustration Friday. This weeks subject is "jump".

Ray Ferguson said...

I feel the same way. This piece is awesome.

Katrin Seibel said...

Great style. This piece is fun.